This is a tender, slow cooked marinated pork shoulder or butt roast recipe.
Yield: 12 People
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 6 hours
Marinating Time 2 hours
Total Time 8 hours 20 minutes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Helichrysum
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 teaspoons anchovies paste
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons spicy/sweet mustard
6lbs pork shoulder, trim excess fat
3 cups of beef broth
- In a small bowl, combine the rosemary, helichrysum, garlic, anchovy paste, salt, pepper, olive oil, and mustard and mix until it forms a paste.
- Rub the paste all over the pork shoulder and then loosely cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate from 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450°F and bring the pork to room temperature while the oven heats.
- Place the pork in a shallow roasting pan and roast, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until the top starts to brown a bit. If the pork roast is 4lbs or less, adjust time to 20 minutes to avoid burning.
- Turn the heat down to 250°F and continue to cook, uncovered, for 6 to 8 hours until the middle of the roast registers 180°F. on an internal thermometer.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Pour off the juices from the pan into a small saucepan and combine beef broth allowing it to simmer. Strain the beef broth mixture into a small heatproof bowl and set aside.
- Slice the pork but know that the meat will fall apart slightly. Drizzle the beef broth mixture over each slice of meat when served.
Calories: 333.64kcal | Carbohydrates: 0.75g | Protein: 51.55g | Fat: 12.39g | Saturated Fat: 3.09g | Cholesterol: 136.68mg | Sodium: 539.9mg | Potassium: 869.92mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 0.04g | Vitamin A: 9.75IU | Vitamin C: 0.49mg | Calcium: 22.27mg | Iron: 2.17mg
Recipe Inspired By:
This is an altered recipe based off a recipe from Katie Workman which can be found at the below link.